Thursday 26 September 2013

IMPROVISATION

Today,wondering through my past memories,I remembered a friend I was once with,he is a good person and I am glad to have known him.
My friend hassan Wabutwa having American corn bread
You know a lot of things happen to us in this life and they go never to happen again,they say "two things can not happen the same way twice" your teenage sweet heart might still be a good friend today but your relationship may never be as great as those olden days when you felt as though you were on the top of the world thinking that everyone was wrong about your relationship.I and my Kuchi kuchi used to have a slogan of 'two against the world',for indeed the first cut is the deepest,do you ever wonder why our first loves linger in our mind for almost forever? no wonder the bible talks about rejoicing with the woman of your youth.(Proverbs:5:18
Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth).I think it is so because it is these people who first show us that we are lovable,at a time when we are shy,very innocent about the opposite sex and qualify to be called Kenny Rogers' 'The coward of the county'.I believe in times of teenage relationships,almost everyone has that moment in the past that you consider a lost opportunity,a time you remember and say I wish I... .When you can't live the past again,all you remain with to do is to treasure and keep your memories well.
Ok back to my friend, we used to participate together in the different church activities.As a new convert to the Born again movement,he played a very big role in establishing me as an active believer.Once in a while he could ask me to say the opening or closing prayer during fellowships with the other believers,sharing the word of God and so on,but there was something about this friend,he was so devoted and funny sometimes,for example sometimes the choir could rehearse the songs to be ministered on sunday service when he is not around,but when the time for presenting the songs comes,he joins in trying to match the others even in the dancing.the truth is sometimes he could not follow uniformly but remaining serious,he used not to mind about what he had missed in the lyrics of the song or the steps in the dance.watching him you wouldn't help but release a godly smile if not a laugh.
what my friend used to do is not something only unique to him,it happens to us everyday and it is called improvisation.According to Vocabulary.com ,to improvise means to make something on the spot,or figure it out as you go.It comes from the Latin word improvisus meaning 'unforeseen,unexpected "It is a creative instant way of doing something you didn't have in mind before.it is not the backup plan(alternative) or the secondary plan in military language,it's a new decision you come up with after an unexpected event has happened.Let us say you are a pianist in a church and someone you have never met comes on stage to perform a song,if you are going to play the piano for them,then you will do that by what they call "playing by the ear".
You could be a public relations personnel for an organization and you are somewhere and you are not sure of the questions your audience will ask you,in such a situation they say "taking it as it comes",or perhaps you are a stand up comedian in a foreign community where people are expecting you to make them laugh but you just don't know what is funny to them,then you just "make it up as you go".I am a great fan of the famous comedian Stephen Colbert,in his commencement speech to the graduating class of 2011 at Northwestern University Evanston Illinois, he said "
AFTER  I GRADUATED FROM HERE, I MOVED DOWN TO CHICAGO AND DID IMPROVISATION . NOW THERE ARE VERY FEW RULES TO IMPROVISATION, BUT ONE OF THE THINGS I WAS TAUGHT EARLY ON IS THAT YOU ARE NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THE SCENE. EVERYBODY ELSE IS. AND IF THEY ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN THE SCENE, YOU WILL NATURALLY PAY ATTENTION TO THEM AND SERVE THEM. BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS YOU'RE IN THE SCENE TOO. SO HOPEFULLY TO THEM YOU'RE THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON, AND THEY WILL SERVE YOU. NO ONE IS LEADING, YOU'RE ALL FOLLOWING THE FOLLOWER, SERVING THE SERVANT. YOU CANNOT WIN IMPROV.
AND LIFE IS AN IMPROVISATION. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT AND YOU ARE MOSTLY JUST MAKING THINGS UP AS YOU GO ALONG.
AND LIKE IMPROV, YOU CANNOT WIN YOUR LIFE.
EVEN WHEN IT MIGHT LOOK LIKE YOU'RE WINNING."
The unknown is usually very scary,you should have a little concern sometimes but you should never confront it with fear,fear terrorizes a creative mind and disarms it of all her weapons leaving you insecure and vulnerable to further damages.Sometimes when I think of my future,of the things I 'want' to be,I get a little bit worried and feel like I just can't make it.but there is some where I always draw my strength to keep focusing.There is this common saying that "we don't know what the future holds for us but we know who holds the future".One of my pastors pastor Joseph Sserwada said "when God gives a vision he also gives a provision"
when you kneel before God no man can stand before you
In (Mathew 10:1-19)
Jesus said "when you come before councils don't be afraid of what you will say....".In (Luke 12:22-32) talking about human needs he said "don't be worried of tomorrow".King David of the bible in one of his psalms (psalm 18:29)said "with you I can go after a troop and with you I can leap over a wall".Paul of tarsus in (Acts 20:22) said "I go to Jerusalem bound in the spirit not knowing what will happen to me there...".With all these examples of these great leaders who lived before us,we should not be intimidated by the unknown.
To the unknown

(Psalm 121) I look unto the hills from whence shall my help come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment