Thursday 13 April 2023

A Flashback on my Journey.

When I dropped out of a computer studies college in 2011, I felt very bad because I really had liked want I was studying. 
I remember when I first joined Aptech Computer Learning center late , I was so naive I didn't know what to expect but thankfully their program was well planned to cater for a newbie who had no any prior knowledge about computer programs.
I caught up so fast in the hands-on class even though I couldn't afford a computer of my own.
 They got us from the very beginning of how modern computers came to be.
 Then Microsoft office applications.
 Before that I thought computer was Word ,Excel and PowerPoint but after a month or so at Aptech, I quickly learned that was just a tip of an iceberg.

I was introduced to technologies I had never heard of before. HTML, some CSS , JavaScript, C_programming, Dreamweaver, a drag and drop software for creating websites. 
Things were becoming interesting but at that point I realized I needed a personal computer of which I didn't have. I only had access to school computer Labs when it was my schedule. We only had classes three times a week. Each session taking between 2-3 hours.

Even though I had and was learning a lot, I desperately needed a computer to continue practicing what I was reading from the course materials they had provided. 

I finished my first semester early 2008 and performed fairly well. I was so impressed with what  I had learned in a very short period of time and couldn't wait to learn more in the next remaining 5 semesters because I had offered an Advanced Diploma in software engineering which was supposed to take me 3 years ( 6 semesters ), little did I know I wasn't coming back.

For those who remember, there was a serious credit crunch in 2008 that affected a lot of people around the world. It affected my sponsor who was living in the USA and he told me : He couldn't fund me at the moment, maybe later when things had stablized.
That's how I dropped out of Aptech not knowing what to do next.

I was young and new in Kampala. I didn't want to go back to Mbale to nothing so I resolved I would stay in Kampala and wait for when things would stablize and I hear from my sponsor in the USA. TO BE CONTINUED.

No comments:

Post a Comment